Monday, December 21, 2015

12.21.15

Weekend words for you. I bet you'll recognize the theme, I tend to go on about it. Time for some new inspiration! (oh, and enjoyable solstice to all)


12/19/15



I saw a crook-necked cormorant in the slough
when the river was moving high, and clouded with silt.
He moved with expertise through soggy reeds,
effortlessness I envied for myself.


In all the rest of the walk I saw no bird
--save ubiquitous gulls, so far inland
and not the master of their domain
(never mind their raucous opinion).
Who could so navigate, despite the rain
terrain, rough and without footpaths
for our steps.
We forget so easily that we’ve tamed
our universe, though it is plain as grass
submerged in water to such depth
as makes it point in raked stripes
like lines of ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment