Friday, December 11, 2015

12.11.15

It's unfortunate that I sometimes learn of poets only after they have passed. A friend of mine posted that Native American poet John Trudell passed away from cancer recently. He is credited with connecting the spoken word of poetry with the oral traditions and histories of his people. He was one of the student-activists who occupied Alcatraz in 1970. His political involvements even earned him an FBI dossier. Tragically, his entire family died in a housefire that had suspicious origins, possibly targeting them due to his work. His words and work connected him to musical artists who helped make his poems into songs, and invited him to perform with them. Trudell acted in various movies as well, from fictional stories to documentaries.


Races


You are a Brother
And a Sister
In the colors of Life


Some people believe
They are races
Human races
Whatever that may be


Races are for running
The competitive edge
Distrust and confusion
Leaving alterations
In innocent faces


We are natural Life
A part of Mother Earth's design
A blending of colors
To make the difference
In the teaching
of meanings




We are colors
in the family
of Life.



Because much of his work is spoken word, I have been having a bit of a tough time finding his work online so I can reproduce it quickly to share. This transcription of a talk in San Francisco in 2001 has a variety of poetry, although I can't attribute them correctly with titles etc as they are taken down from speech. (definitely read the talk, his speech is thoughtful and thought-provoking)



Iktomi



I flew with the eagles
Until I fell from the nest
I ran with the wolves
Then got lost from the pack

Slowly I go crazy every day
Some days run faster than others
I never strayed into heaven
It was hard getting past hell
I traveled through and beyond
The death and birth of man
I am Iktomi

Imagine running out of imagine
Mistaking authority for power
Weaving lifes free spirit
Into patterns of control

I heard all that was said
Until now I hear nothing at all
The edge between twilight and dark
The great lie lurks
Prostitution of soul
Anyone can do it or not
I went down some roads that
Stopped me dead in my tracks
I am Iktomi

I've been the mirror
To others reflecting selves
I've known love that can't help
But love and I've been close
To that hurting way of love

I flew with the eagles
Until I fell from the nest
I ran with the wolves
Then got lost from the pack

From the earth
Wind cave memories
One with the sky
Time of different motions
Dog days dreamer
Chasing the neon
Woven into minds
I am Iktomi

From my place in line
I fell out of order
I've been here
I've been there .I've been anywhere
And
I haven't been anywhere
And I'll be back again
I am Iktomi

Imagine running out of imagine
Mistaking authority for power
Weaving lifes free spirit
Into patterns of control


If you are interested in other material, Trudell's first chapbook; a compilation of spoken word and music; a collection of poems and other materials, are all things referenced in the original article.


Journey


Moths and other sacred wings 
Butterflies and bees whisper 
And breath of the wind 
Blessed way blessing way things 

Dreams are the mind streams 
Thought pictures of the spirit 
There are dreams of the day 
There are dreams of the night 

Thinking and dreaming are related 
Dreams of the day we make our own 
Dreams of night, part of eternal stone 
There are dream takers 
Taking from dream worlds 
Taking dreams as a way of 
Stealing thoughts 

Turning minds inside and out 
Dream slavers want to change 
Our connections to ourselves 
Mess with our dreams make us unsure 
Unclear about right and wrong 
Feed our dreams and instincts 
To industrial profit machine 

Difference between dream and fantasy 
Reality and illusion center and no center 
Dreams of the day keep our spirit alive 
Our creative mind who we really are 

With dreams we can create and heal 
Follow our original purpose 
Dreams are protection good medicine 
Blessed way blessed way things 

Sun and Moon continue 
We are all on one journey

No comments:

Post a Comment