Saturday, August 16, 2014

Weekend Words

12/26/12

When I was young, my great-grandmother
taught me to read tea leaves.
When the merest dregs were left,
she’d take the delicate cup and swirl
the kaleidoscope of filaments.
Once more upon the saucer, she’d turn
to see what another angle might have hidden.
Birds were good luck, and travel,
fortunes were prescribed to other animals,
(I imagine they had possibly
varied every time). Especially
lucky was a prosperous tree,
and each lone bit that fell like leaves
well, that was money. She’d grin
and suck her false teeth.
It was alright if your cup
was more like static;
she’d find a fortune
in each.

I remembered this the other day
as I was finishing a cup before bed,
and accidentally drank the bitter flecks.
I wondered in what shape they might
assemble on my tongue.

1 comment:

  1. Love this poem. I like how tea leaves take the shapes of plants and animals. Kaleidoscope of filaments was my favorite line. Not gonna lie, I also just like tea.

    ReplyDelete