Tuesday, August 12, 2014

8.12.14

I guess if I'm titling the posts with the date I'm already off, since the last post certainly wasn't the 8th. Oh well.

I'd like to share a great jumping-off point, poets.org. I can't seem to find any "about" page, but whoever created it had the brilliant idea of a poem-a-day feature, sent to your email. Not just any work either, previously-unpublished work (except on weekends, which feature "classic" poems), which I think is a fantastic way to find new writers. In addition to this, you can browse their featured writers and topics, find "poetry near you" (although this section is not very detailed, much better to go to a local source for better options).

Yesterday I read Settling In by Jenny Factor:

How I loved
each bare floor, each
naked wall, the shadows on
newly empty halls.
By day, my head humming
to itself of dreams, I cleaned and
scrubbed
to make life
new; dislodging from the corner,
the old
moths and cicadas
pinned to the screen, the carcasses
of grasshoppers
dangling from beams,
and each windowsill’s clutter of
dried beetles
and dead bees. But,
through each opening, each closing door,
the old life
returns on six legs, or
spins a musty web as it roosts over
a poison pot, or
descends from above
to drink blood in. This is how it
happens: the
settling inthe press
of wilderness returns to carved-out space, to skin.

This piece has a calm, focused pace and conveys drama without being dramatic. I really like the progression of the little rhymes that catch your eye, "screen/beams/bees", it adds quite a visual effect and makes me feel like I am going down the steps to this basement, or "descend[ing] from above". 
I had a great time browsing this website, having little gems pop up at me on the dynamic tile format the page shows, and definitely went down the link-following rabbit hole. I hope you enjoy it as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment