Thursday, July 16, 2015

7.15.15

Best-laid plans said I would post this over the weekend, but I didn't. The haze is all gone now, but here are your words about it:





The haze draped heavily
strung on a wire,
hanging between high-rises,
settling on stoops.

The city is on pause.
The faces in windows
are stopped between breaths,
the playgrounds deserted.
The palpable weight is
slowing down out heartbeats.




I'm glad for the dictum "a poem isn't unfinished, only abandoned", because this one gives me a strong signal that it needs a "so what" at the end. Part of what helped me learn the basic 5-paragraph essay so well in high school (aw yeah AP) was assigning my own names to the parts of it. The concluding sentence and thesis always needed a "SO WHAT" statement. Because really, why should we care about some haze? Or about anything, unless the speaker/author tells us why?

I may be thinking about "so what" a lot in the context of writing and creating and life-pursuits in general. Belated spring cleaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment